Wednesday 18 January 2012

Proud

a word I am usually hesitant to use, but I made something and I am really very proud of myself.

My Master 7 is obsessed with Lego, he breathes the very nature of it.  I love Lego, I still have my Lego Castle from circa 1982, the yellowness of it is very dating, but I can almost do it without the instructions.


Master 7's wishlist came in and on it of course was Lego, but he also wanted a bed cover for his double sized doona.  I went in search of something that was boyish but not babyish and of course nothing 'suited' his little quirky ways.  I surfed around and came across a site Lego quilt where a very talented lady had made a Lego brick doona cover for her little Lego fan... You could say I had a lightbulb moment, "I" could totally do that I thought to myself and WOW wouldn't the smile on Master 7's face light up the room (and be seen from Mars) on Christmas morning.


I downloaded her template for the Lego brick stamp and ordered some carvable artists erasers (wow aren't they hard to find), then I sneakily made a 'template' of the exact size in scale form out of actual Lego blocks!

I then took a very obliging hubby along to Spotlight to find those 'exact' colours.  We were so lucky to find everything we wanted PLUS a large piece of Aqua for the backing (as specifically requested by Master 7 (shhh sneeky Mum asked him his very favourite colour in the whole wide world).

I then painstakingly hand cut 380 12x12cm squares of material.  I found muscles in my hands that I never knew existed!  Crazy chick.




Then pinned the entire thing together (ok I think I now need committing, especially as I could only really do this at night...late at night (to keep the surprise from my clever boy).




So now what did I do? no I didn't sew it, you see that would be WAY too easy... I dismantled the damned thing and started handstamping it with my groovy little stamp. I found myself swearing... ALOT




Ah now the sewing begins... in my infinite wisdom, I decided to colour co-ordinate each block with matching thread.  So all the individual 'bricks' were sewn together...  then the arduous task of lining them all up in correct position and sewing them... see you in about 100 years!  I am now completely certifiable and certain that the next knock on the door will be little men in clean white coats to take me awaaaaaaay haha... I digress.

Here is the finished product and that is the face of a VERY happy child, he cuddled that thing like nothing else on this earth mattered.  Happy Mumma :D




  
So anyone who would like me to make them one??? can um er, how do I say this politely... NOT ASK LOL or I would simply have to charge a ridiculous amount of money... how much does one charge for one's sanity?

1 comment:

  1. It looks awesome Sheri and I'm not sure I would have the patience to sew one for a single bed let alone a double

    ReplyDelete